Monday, October 12, 2020

I'm Behind on My Reviews (a review of "Behind the Mask" - 2006 horror)

Behind the Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon. Well, this was a tough one for me, for a number of reasons. First of all, I didn't have nearly enough horror capital to truly enjoy all the nuance and reference clearly put into this movie. Given the topic of meta on the Bingo, it's pretty easy to see that this movie was basically "behind the scenes of the making of" a horror movie - with a lot of murder.

It was funny, but I spend so much of my day in a "meta" space that I kept waiting for surprises that were, to me, obvious. But I could totally see where the humor in it was the making fun of all the complexity of the very traditional scenarios involved in what occurs in murder movies. 

Toward the end I did find I liked "here's what always happens in a horror movie so we're going to do the thing counter to that which ends up being predicted by the murderer" - turning those learning the ropes that the tables have turned. I found the idea of a murderer spending all their time preparing things like one-use axes and subsequent risk mitigation ("I'm in trouble if they get me on the first hit, lol") very amusing. I'm beginning to think that Zombieland's list of best practices should include, "Don't be a dumb teenager" high up on the list.

SO yeah not much to say on this one, but I think I'm not qualified. Maybe a re-watch once I get through the 31 flavors will give me more appreciation. Or maybe someone will write about how I thought about writing this article, and take i to the next meta level.

No comments: