Tuesday, October 6, 2020

We've All Seen Penises We Didn't Intend to (Review of the Re-Animator - 1985 horror)

This is my first post in a long time. So long that I deleted the previous posts, which were dumb.

It's 2020 and it's been a shitshow. Instead of talking about 2020, I decided to participate, with my amazing friend [and coincidentally colleague], Christina Bergling, in her 2020 Horror Bingo. A grand attempt at normalcy in a dysfunctional 2020.

Horror is not my genre. It's my hope that my horror virginity, much like the unfortunate teens in said genre, will protect me and provide amusing counterpoint to the much more qualified Christina. I'm all Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, action movies, and so on. I accidentally see a horror movie now and then when I mistake it for action or drama. 

October 1 started with 1985's Re-Animator. Right off the bat I was like, HEY! It's Commander Shran - our blue-skinned Andorian from Enterprise. Aww, I bet he's going to die. 

I laughed, I rolled my eyes, I hid my eyes. My wife, who was doomscrolling actual 2020 horror and was partially watching, concluded, "everyone is young and naked." Well, they were mostly young. 

Scientific experimental rigor took a back seat to questionable morality. This led to inevitable situations where people, well, had to die. You want my insane idea? No sir, you cannot have it. SPLAT.

Was it terrifying, horrifying? No, it wasn't that type of horror. I don't scare very easily anyway. I do get grossed out. There was plenty of blood, good campy fun, that special kind of acting from the 80s, and the naked people.

Unlike today's movies, almost no one is beautiful (though I admit a certain man crash on Mr/ Combs because I think he was hilarious in Enterprise). No perfectly coiffed actors and actresses with radiant teeth and perky 20-something bodies. There was nudity young and old, men and women, alive and dead. I can handle most gore (and there was plenty of blood), and the delightful visceral mayhem inevitably found me laughing and cringing. I suppose that's delight.

All in all it wasn't as bad as I thought my first real look at horror would be. The movie didn't suck - it was good acting, and a good story if you didn't mind letting go of reality a bit. I mean come on, a lab should be a lot cleaner than this was. 

My review is very inexperienced - what will I learn in the next 30 days? Will I reflect more on what others with more horror capital have for this movie? Is it a classic? It definitely fit the topical Bingo hit of "bad science."

1 comment:

Christina said...

OMG I love this review so much! Keep them coming.